Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Harvesting Honey Part 1 - Bee Vlog - Aug 29, 2016

In Part 1 I show how to remove honey supers from a hive easily and without disturbing the bees. Come back for Part 2 where I extract the honey from the combs with inexpensive (less than $40 USD) equipment.


Video Link

Monday, June 13, 2016

Observation Hive at Festival of Flowers - Bee Vlog - Jun 13, 2016

The theme of Festival of Flowers this year at Pioneer Courthouse Square is "Be Friendly PDX." I was invited to be on KGW's morning news "Out & About" segment, bring an observation hive, and talk about bees in Portland.

Tour de Hives is on June 25-26, 2016. Buy tickets here.


Video Link

You can watch the entire interview below.

Video Link

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Wasp Nest In My Trap - Bee Vlog - May 18, 2016

I was refreshing the bait in one of my swarm traps and found a wasp nest. After some slo-mo inspection of the video footage (and discussion with others in the YouTube comments), it look like this was a yellowjacket nest.


Video Link

Monday, May 9, 2016

Supers, Splits, & Starvation - Bee Vlog - May 9, 2016

So much going on in this video! I got to meet Michael Bush! I give a quick rundown on my winter successes and failures. The plan today was to just run to all my out-yards and add supers, but found queen cells in one and split them to make 2 new resource hives (more on what a resource hive is in a future video). I also go through a dead-out to see what done them in.


Video Link

Monday, April 25, 2016

How To Install A Nuc - Bee Vlog - Apr 25, 2016

Installing nucs at Zenger Farm. Also, taking a look at the monitoring system donated by Bee-Certain.com. (This donation was a gift to the Portland Urban Beekeepers club for use at their club apiary at Zenger Farm.)


Video Link

Monday, April 18, 2016

Flow Hive - Up Close - Apr 18, 2016

I finally got my hands on a Flow hive. In this video I cover the concerns I think are most important to address.


Video Link

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Overwintered Nuc - March 2016

I had 2 nucs going into winter, trying out a new way to insulate and protect the hive. It seemed to work okay. One hive died. I think it was due to a problem with the queen, so insulation wouldn't have helped there. The other hive did great and came out really strong. However, the insulation provided a nice space for ants to create a little nest of their own under the top. Ants everywhere! Even with Tanglefoot on the posts. Apparently Tanglefoot requires re-application from time to time.

Ready for a bigger hive